Monday 11 November 2013

Lest We Forget

Remembrance Day or Armistice Day is a day in which Commonwealth countries, since the end of World War I, set aside to remember the members of their armed forces who have died in the line of duty.  In Canada, November 11th is the date of remembrance for the men and women who serve and continue to serve our country during times of war, conflict and peace.

At the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month a hush will fall over our nation as we take two minutes of silence to honour and remember those who sacrifice their lives for the freedom of rights of all people, not just for those in our great nation but for those who are oppressed all over the world.

Today the Canadian Armed Forces are well known around the world as "peacekeepers".  This means we don't heavily arm our forces to go blow up the enemy, but we send them out in times of conflict to keep others from blowing each other up until a resolution of peace can be found.  Some find our forces to be a joke, I personally find them to be honourable and I admire what they do and the manner in which they do it.  It's just one more reason I am so proud to be Canadian.

So today at 11:00 am I'll dedicate two minutes of my life to those I admire so much, the soldiers and the peacekeepers, and in the meantime I can't think of a more fitting song to dedicate to those I will be thinking of for those two minutes.  This is The Trews and their song Highway of Heroes.....

HIGHWAY OF HEROES


Lest we forget.  .................. ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment