Saturday 21 January 2012

Move Over Guys

I love men. Hm mmm!  Everything about them.  The way they look, smell, taste...hehehe.  And yeah even the way they think!  I love the way their arms feel around me and how they can always open the pickle jar.  But that's not to say I don't like women.  True, I don't swing that way sexually, but when a girl needs a friend, nothing beats a chick.

I know a number of kick ass chicks.  These are chicks that don't pull fucking punches. They tell it like it is and they are there for you when you need them.  As my best friend put it, "You can fight your own battles, but if you're down and bloodied, I'll step in over your bloody body and continue the fight for you."  They fucking make you laugh when you don't think it's even possible to crack a phoney smile.  They are supportive and fun. I love them. They fucking rock!!  There's one woman in particular that I know that not only rocks as a friend, but as a musician as well.

Though the genre is comprised predominately of men, there have been a number of chicks that literally fucking rock.  I know this because I've been listening to them fucking rock for the last 40 years. Janis Joplin, Grace Slick (Jefferson Airplane), Carole Pope (Rough Trade), Holly Woods (Toronto), Ann and Nancy Wilson (Heart), Pat Benatar, Joan Jett, Deborah Harry (Blondie), Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac)...and that's only up to the fucking 70'... and not even a complete list at that.  These women paved the way in the industry and were an influence for future rocker chicks such as Sass Jordan, Joss Stone, Amy Winehouse and my friend Lauren Wolf

Lauren, like so many other independent artists, promotes her music through social media, twitter, facebook, etc. I took a listen to her stuff and became an instant fan. This chick can wail!  The great thing about social media is not only are you able to discover new artists and music, but you can connect with or contact the artist as well.  I use my twitter account to such purposes...it gives me fodder for this blog and I'm able to do my little bit to help independents by promoting their stuff on twitter and facebook.  I'm glad I do, because it was through twitter that I not only heard of Lauren Wolf and her music but connected with her and her fans as well. 

I actually won Lauren's CD (autographed, HA!), All My Secrets, from a contest on twitter with Rising Magazine...by the way, you gotta check Rising Magazine.  I put a link below for the issue that Lauren is featured in, but I also suggest subscribing to it....very concise information about up and coming musicians.  But enough of that for now...back to Lauren Wolf's CD.  Lauren starts with a mind blowing cover of Janis Joplin's Move Over, and she fucking rocks it!  So I'm hooked, right off the bat.  She also does a few more covers throughout the album - The Letter, originally recorded by The Box Tops, though the version I remember most was Joe Cocker's rendition (did you know this song has been recorded over 200 times by different artists?), Crazy by Gnarls Barkley and Journey's Separate Ways.  In Lauren's renditions she stays true to the original artist but no doubt, she makes them her own with her raw and soulful style. Then there are the original songs, One Day, Secrets, and You Are are just a few of my favorites.  They're full of feeling and soul as well, sung by one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard.

I gotta get to a Lauren Wolf live show...besides knowing I will be rocked right out of my socks, I've heard that for her meet and greets before the show she serves Booze Balls (a delicious bite of dessert, filled with booze - two of my most decadent pleasures), that she makes herself!  Man, can this chick get any better?  I don't think so, I already think she's the best!  I absolutely love her as a musician and as a person.  Check her out, you will too!  And by the way Lauren, I got your back baby, anytime you need someone to step over the bloody body, I'm there........; )

Check out Lauren Wolf music here:
Lauren Wolf website
Lauren Wolf on facebook
Lauren Wolf on twitter
Lauren's 6 page spread in Rising Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment