Saturday 3 September 2011

Sex, Drugs and Rock 'N Roll!

Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember.  My biological father was a drummer in a band in his younger years.  He was drumming for Gary Fjellgaard's band when he caught my mother's eye.  Yeah, he was married to someone else at the time, the dog...but that didn't stop him and my mother from getting fucking naked and sweaty - resulting in me.

Even though my dad's first wife kicked him to the curb and he married my mom, their relationship didn't make it to my first birthday.  Separately they still both managed to become raging but functional alcoholics.  So you see, sex, drugs and rock 'n roll are literally in my blood.

My mother loved country western music and this is what I grew up listening to.  Her favorites included Johnny Cash, Charlie Pride, Charlie Rich, Don Williams, Loretta Lynn, Conway Twitty....and the list goes on and on.  I guess I was about 10 years old - that was in '75 - when we started listening to AM Radio.   At that time the airways were filled with easy listening - Gordon Lightfoot, Van Morrison, Carly Simon, Simon and Garfunkel and of course a whole lot of Disco.

When I was 13, my mom and stepfather bought me a stereo for my room.  I couldn't wait to start buying vinyl of my own.  Being a 13 year old girl raised on country and am radio, my first albums were the soundtracks to Grease and Saturday Night Fever.  Very uncool back then - classics now...go figure!

It would be a year later that a friend brought over her brother's April Wine, Stand Back album.  I was fucking blown away...I had to have that album.  I ended up trading my Billy Joel Glass Houses album for it (I had played it to death by that time anyway).  From that moment on Rock music took control of my heart and hasn't given it back since.

It turned me on.  I was coming of age and rebelling against the abuse I was facing at home.  I was looking at boys in a whole different way - I was no longer interested in holding hands - instead I was more interested in investigating those impressive bulges in 17 year old boys' jeans.  I was rocking out to AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Boston, Kiss,  Lynyrd Skynyrd and their music was telling me it was okay to be me.  I could let loose, give into my impulses, party on and they wouldn't judge me, in fact they would cheer me on.  They did and during those partying years I smoked many joints, drank many bottles, sang, danced and investigated many a bulge - I loved every minute of it! .....; )

No comments:

Post a Comment